ThunderCats Lair Message Boards/Forums  

Go Back   ThunderCats Lair Message Boards/Forums > 2011+ New ThunderCats > 2011 ThunderCats Toys
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2011 ThunderCats Toys Discussion on the 2011 action figures by Bandai and Mezco

Closed Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 08:29 PM   #11
Chromeagle
Barbarian

Cant wait to see these.
Old 06-03-2010, 10:13 PM   #12
Jaguar-O
TCL Junior Member

I'll reserve judgement until they come out, but my first reaction to this news was not positive.
Old 06-03-2010, 10:43 PM   #13
queen lynxana
Plun-Darr Legend

Send a message via Yahoo to queen lynxana

It's going to be made of plastic and played by kids my son's age or younger. You'll just have to deal with it.

It's not going to be something sculpted by Da Vinci, it's going to be made to handle kids my son's age throwing it around the room and losing the tiny weapons and accessories where mothers like me will be stepping on them and saying many swear-words. You try being a mother with hard sharp plastic digging into the arch of your foot............the soft fleshy part! Can we say "Ouch!"

Be grateful we are getting new toys! Our generation....we are now parents, we grew up and had kids............we will be paying for this stuff, so don't worry, I don't think they will make crap.....they want our money!
Old 06-04-2010, 06:07 AM   #14
Jay Bell
TCL New Member

The LJN toys were so ahead of their time when it came to amazing paint applications. It's a bit ironic that the torch has been passed to Bandai, considering how even their best toys are very minimal when it comes to detail. Still, maybe we'll be surprised. At the very least, it will be nice to have a Lion-O that isn't neon orange.
Old 06-04-2010, 10:50 AM   #15
blackiecats
Site Admin

I've heard nothing but negative comments concerning Bandai. Myself.....I'll be keeping an open mind.

But I do agree with Lynxana....these will be kids toys and not priceless pieces of art. If you want great detailed sculpts, then go with the Stactions Icon Heroes will be making

Myself, I'll likely pick bits and pieces from both Classic and New Bandai lines and maybe Icon Heroes Stactions if the scultps are classic show accurate!
Old 06-04-2010, 01:51 PM   #16
Manny
Thunderian Legend

Send a message via AIM to Manny

I'm going to keep an open mind as well. I'm not a big fan of Bandai; with the exception of the zords, the Power Rangers toys aren't that great.

I just hope Warner gave Bandai the license because they showed quality prototypes and not just because Bandai gave them more money than any other toy company bidding for the license.
Old 06-04-2010, 03:22 PM   #17
Grune_The_Destroyer
Berserker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny View Post
I'm going to keep an open mind as well. I'm not a big fan of Bandai; with the exception of the zords, the Power Rangers toys aren't that great.

I just hope Warner gave Bandai the license because they showed quality prototypes and not just because Bandai gave them more money than any other toy company bidding for the license.
I think based on the Actionfigureinsider.com article that was referenced on the boards in another thread, that AnimeTed (handle of the guy reporting in the article on that page) has been 100% accurate thus far about a new Thundercats show, and Bandai getting the license. This also seems to hold true that Warners was only granting the 80s license if someone were to be willing to take on the license for the new show. His claim in that article is that neither Mattel or Hasbro was willing to take that chance (in other words, they would have snatched up the 80's property in a heartbeat, but didn't want to be locked and forced into creating figs for this new show as well). Apparently Bandai was the top company out there willing to do both.

Begs two questions - 1) Why would WB do this? Why would they not be willing to license out seperate properties for the action figure line? They haven't forced Hard Hero, PCS, or Icon Heroes to put out statues for the new show (that we know of, although that could be an upcoming development). So why make it necessary for the action figure rights to be tied together this way?

2) What is WB's business relationship like now with Mattel? If they believed in them to put out their DC Universe line of toys (with the exception of what is done through DC Direct and more high end companies like Hot Toys with their Dark Knight line) which is a much bigger cash cow, and thus a much bigger risk.....Mattel made it known they wanted Thundercats (probably as AnimeTed said, just the 80s license alone), so why not break up the rights and give Mattel the 80s show rights and Bandai the new show if Mattel didn't want to produce figures for a new show?

My only guess is that Bandai might have balked at doing figures for the new show, if they weren't granted master rights for the entire line....and maybe WB saw more money to be had by partnering with them.

I do hope what Manny said was true....that Bandai really knocked it out of the park with some awesome prototypes to sell WB. It isn't like WB really needs the money from Thundercats at all....they sat on that property for 10+ years w/o giving a whiff of a care of if it got renewed or not (other than the Wildstorm comics). Who knows at this point. That is my speculation above...but again, I'm really not holding out much hope now of awesome Thundercats figures with Bandai's track record.
Old 06-04-2010, 10:28 PM   #18
TheFallen
Berbill

It is a real crappy situation for fans. If the toys suck and the line fails then that will be the end of Thundercats action figures.

However, the new Thundercats cartoon could be the next Ben 10 and be huge with the 7-12 year old demographic but still have toys that suck only making more misery for the fans

Only time will tell. Are we expected to see the new figures at SDCC?
Old 06-05-2010, 12:11 AM   #19
Grune_The_Destroyer
Berserker

Do you think they will try to market the 80s license as an adult collector line similar to MOTU Classics? I would think that to be the only way to go. I mean think about it, they will have their retail line w/ the new cartoon attached, but what is the point in sticking kiddie looking DragonBall Z or Power Ranger replica figures on shelves for a 20+ year old show that isn't even being broadcast (to my knowledge) in the U.S.??? Who would the demographic be for the 80s show if there's no cartoon on t.v. to try to draw in younger fans??? It would have to be the older audience you would think.

I'm seriously hoping Bandai has seen the success of the MOTU Classics line as an adult collector line, and will attempt to offer the classic 80s style figures for that license in a similar fashion (i.e. not designed for 4-10 year olds). As long as they make some sort of an attempt to preserve the license for the older show, it would more than make up for how they're probably going to ruin the line attached to the new show.

You guys gotta think I'm right about the 80s license...I mean what sense would it make to distribute it any other way aside to the older fans who remember the show? Maybe Bandai can make some killer 4H style sculpts....or heck maybe they can hire the 4H themselves (they aren't Mattel employees afterall, but are contracted to them for specific lines) to produce whatever figures, vehicles, and playsets for the 80s style line.

As long as there's some hope for the adult collector w/ the 80s license, again that will more than make up for any short comings with figures tied to the new show.

Last edited by Grune_The_Destroyer; 06-05-2010 at 12:15 AM..
Old 06-05-2010, 12:54 AM   #20
TheFallen
Berbill

I am pretty sure the Four Horsemen are contracted exclusively to Mattel meaning they can't work for any other company. I think they have a clause which allows them to produce their own figures (7th Kingdom)

Has Bandai ever done an adult collector line before? Maybe they have been looking at MOTUC but would they travel down the same road with scarcity marketing like Mattel have?

I think the unknown has me worried with what Bandai will do with this license. At least you know that your being screwed by Mattel with MOTUC
Closed Thread